Saturday 3 March 2007

Post Race Analysis - SRC Exec/Officers

Having taken a look at the results from the top of ballot paper, tonight's results look elsewhere and take a look (albeit briefly at times) into what it might mean for the year ahead. First up is the top of the SRC - the Executive and the SRC Officers.

With three convenerships returned unopposed, we've had three candidates who we (as an electorate) don't really know what they stand about or stand for. Laura & Thomas are as red as they come, and I'd be surprised if they weren't actually card carrying members of the Labour Party. Laura's behaviour towards some of the other candidates in this elections means that I'm very sceptical of her, and what she might do. She's also a first year currently and I wonder how much influence she will be able to have over others as External Convener - I also wonder what her leadership skills are like. As I said before - if I wasn't a final year student, I'd have relished taking on Laura in battle for External Convener. Thomas, as I've already said, I'm not totally convinced has the character to do the job in hand. Jonathan's problem as PG Convener, is that currently he is a Committee of 1. But knowing Jonathan, I'm sure he'll make something of it.

That leaves us with three other elected members of the Exec.

First off, SRC Editor. In what could be the last person in the role, Guy Bromley took the election by some margin from Ross Cullen. Guy is, of course, a member of the Labour Club, which can't have done him any harm, but to be honest this won't have single handedly won him the election. My best guess, is that he had a website, whilst his opponent didn't, although Ross did have some interesting posters. Either way, Guy's in the job. The SRC Editor appears to do bugger all these days, and I'd be interested to see what Guy makes of the role - he can't be any worse in the job than the current incumbent. Guy has given us some results as Academic Services Convener, so maybe that will continue as SRC Editor.

Welfare Convener also went to a Labour Club man, but the race between Nick & Adam was more a microcosm of the election as a whole: Labour man against a man put up by the Greens. Well, it was close to that. Adam & Nick are apparently good mates, so maybe Adam'll contribute ideas to Nick, but either way this could be interesting. Nick has - in some circles - been described as a man who is just "a brain dead lump", which I feel is slightly harsh. I hope that Nick remembers that he has a whole University of students to represent and that welfare is a universal issue, not one based on any of the usual discriminants. However, what is interesting is that he has loyalty to both Tom & Josh: so is he really going to be independent on the Exec, or will he take orders from one, the other, or both?

Teaching & Learning Convener had originally 5 candidates, which dropped to 4 after Stewart Martin's withdrawn papers. Leaving 4 candidates, all of whom stood on similar issues, the decision for voters was always going to be a tough one. I was surprised Leah polled as few votes as she did - proving looks aren't everything, and proving I can be wrong; I do think her poor showing was down to her effectively withdrawing from competing in the race. Leaving three candidates, Emma's re-election posters no doubt didn't do anything but help her; although the last person to ask for re-election was Josh MacAlister in the External Convenor elections last year ... and he lost. As it was, Emma romped to victory, leaving Stephen & Ondrej in her wake. I expect Emma to do more of the same as this year - although hopefully a few more appearances at SRC won't go a miss.

That leaves the 6 non-Assoc Exec members of the SRC Exec, being a 4 Labour, 2 Independent split. More of which in a later post.

So the officers. Matt Mole was returned unopposed, and Schools & Induction Officer is a position I hope he really gets involved in.

Accommodation Officer saw a tight battle between Sam Hansford and Greta Dargie. I'm personally disappointed that Greta didn't get in: she's further along in her Uni career, and has clearly shown her involvement and wanting to get involved in the issues after her General Meeting Motion on Grant Management - something that took a lot of balls and hard work. Sam, it seems, is a P&P/Green leaning lackey, and has been elected after a very good leafleting campaign.

Community Officer saw a win Jude Harrison by some margin. As I said in earlier posts, I did not think it was right to re-elect Joe after doing bugger all this year. I honestly cannot think what impact he has had, and I hope that this fresh set of ideas will have some impact on the role. Jude's victory was a surprise in only so far as how large it had been. Again, this could be down to a good Facebook group, and his Labour party support. Either way, his manifesto did look good, and this may well have caused his win.

Finally, in this section, there is the Equal Ops Officer. Nahuel beat Kiril by a comfortable margin. I can't claim to know anything about either of these guys, but like Guy, this could be the last year for the position, so I wonder what they will do with the job. With Tom French in the VPS seat, he will no doubt push for reforms to the Liberation Groups, which Nahuel will be heavily involved with. Time will tell to see how far these reforms go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was Laura's behaviour towards other candidates in the election, that made you sceptical of her?

Anonymous said...

Isnt it terrible that the part of that analysis that upsets me the most is the 'lump' part?
Troubling sign I would say!

Anonymous said...

Can we have your predictions for next year before you leave us?

Anonymous said...

External is the one job on Exec that really suffers from having a former External Convener elected to either President or one of the other sabbs. Although President being particularly bad for it. I think Josh is the first EC to go on to sabb for quite some time..its those T+L and Welfare folk that have grabbed the glory.

It can turn into a glorified bag carrier..especially if the two people are close to begin with and an age/experience gap. That said from what I have witnessed Laura doesnt strike me as the type.

Anonymous said...

Jordan,

Nice to finally converse directly, having paid occasional attention to your interesting blog!

Just a small issue I have with your recent analysis...

I was not at any stage "put up" by the Greens. I ran because I figured that the post of Welfare Convener was an ideal progression for me from running BLOGS. In fact, when told Tom F and Tim Gee that I planned to run (I believe this was at the Peter Tatchell talk that I co-hosted with the Greens), they were extremely surprised, and warned me that it would not be an easy race.

My campaign was run entirely by myself and a couple of close (and independent) friends, and as something of a EUSA outsider, I never really had any hope of doing well.

I find it rather frustrating that, because I have no real friends in the Labour Club, I have been automatically labelled as a Green. I also find it a bit patronising to hear claims that I was "put up" by someone else. This has been my own campaign from the beginning.

Anyway, I've rambled enough! I just find it sad that I've been given a political label because of the people who I regard as my friends.

All the best,

Adam Knight

Jordan D said...

What predictions are you wanting for next year?!

Anonymous said...

How does the balance of power lie? Who will be running for sabs next year (only speculation, but oh so fun!)? Will Frenchie last it out? Anyone in particular to watch out for?