Wednesday 14 February 2007

Quiet Wednesday

Traditionally the last day and a half of the elections is when it really hots up. Really really hots up. More candidates stand. More people are nominated. Not today however - just a mere 7 candidates.

The biggest news from today is Chris Arnold - http://www.freewebs.com/chrisarnold - standing for VPS. A Potterrow regular, Chris is someone I know very well from my work in Accommodation Services. VPS now has a "non-EUSA" candidate which will really shake up the elections. Tom French & Stuart MacLennan now have some opposition which 'ordinary, non-EUSA' people might well connect with and steal crucial votes. Chris can also tap into the lucrative 1st Year voting market, and this will be a shaping factor in the elections.

Elsewhere its been a quiet day, and I have to say I am really surprised at why people aren't standing. With nominations closing 4 hrs earlier than normal, are there going to be lots of seats unfilled in the SRC? That would really be a disappointment, and I hope that the push of me and others to get these seats filled does pay off.

A footnote to this is something that was pointed out to me by a friend. As things stand, there is only 1 female candidate for Sabbatical. Looking down the list, there are moderately few female candidates. Now, this isn't something that is going to deeply scratch my soul: I've always believed that the best candidates will make up their own decision to stand, and will do so regardless of gender or any other discriminator. I'm only mentioning this here, because someone else mentioned it to me, and it may spark some debate or interest.

The main message is this: if you aren't standing, and think you might want to, then do. You'll only regret not getting involved. The clock is ticking - forms are available online at the EUSA Election site, and nominations close at 12noon sharp. Get involved.

No comments: